Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thurs = test day

Today was a test!

I was confronted by someone...let's call him Dave.  Well, Dave was angry.  He decided that I looked rather vulnerable.  Not sure why.  He turned his fear and hurt, in the form of anger, on me.  He was not ready for my reply. 

I am learning that my anger is based out of hurt, alot of hurt.  As I face my fear and pain, I am also finding that I am able to assist others by defusing potentially explosive situations.  Nothing "Dave" said was directed at me, although it sounded like it.  It was entirely based on his fear.  When I didn't respond in a "typical" manner, it caught him off guard and he was able to calm down and tackle the problem at hand with me.

The old me would have exploded into that situation with the Hulk-ish intent of beating everyone involved down.  The old me would have hurt feelings and destroyed friendships with angry words and callous emotion.

There is hope for people like me.  I am 5 weeks into my journey.  Some days it seems like I've traveled miles and my dragons are beaten and slain on the side of the road.  Other days it seems like these same dragons are standing at the top of the mountain I am about to climb.  There are peaks and valleys.

The good news is that there are Warriors who have gone ahead of me who know this fear and pain.  They walk with me.  They surround me with their strength and encouragement.  They hold me up when I'm feeling defeated.  They expect the same from me.  I am strong because of them.

I am rebellion against my old self and my old way of living.  I am in a fight for my independence from that self; a war for the right to use my own mind, make my own decisions and control my own emotions!

Steve H (005)
What will YOU do to Save A Warrior?

8 comments:

  1. "I am rebellion against my old self and my old way of living."
    Steve...I will join you in that rebellion!
    Chris E (005)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you babe...so thankful for this change in you, your willingness to share it, and giving hope to other warriors and families that are struggling through the same things.
    ~Becky Howell

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I am rebellion against my old self and my old way of living. I am in a fight for my independence from that self: A war for the right to use my own mind, make my own decisions and control my own emotions! " I am with you in that rebellion, Strength and Honor, my Captain, my friend, my brother in arms!
    John V (005)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the internet John! Great talking to you today.

      Delete
    2. HA!! I echo Chris' statement. Glad you could come out and play.

      Delete
  4. John and Chris...I must say, that quote hit me pretty hard as I read through "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz. I modified it a little, but still, such strong words!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Compassion and empathy are strengths not weaknesses. Keep slaying the dragons Steve. Eddie O (005)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning that very slowly Eddie. Thanks brother.

      Delete